My Goals

Get a degree in fine art, maybe even a masters... Study with a Master. Study Realism and abstract art. Paint in classical style in water color, oil and acrylic. Mae my own paint. Paint modern, abstract and surreal subjects in a classical way. Make social comment through art. Start an international woman's artists collective. Build a web site full of art resources. Do Collaborative art with women around the world. Show.

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Some more fiddling with portraits

So this is the portrait I worked from, taken from a book of B/W portraits. Then using the watercolor technique I began in a rougher stage I started to sketch out the face shape and the depressions, and roughly the details, as each layer dried I began to define and redefine the features, mindful of light and dark. Not bad- but not an exact likeness... (I actually think he is cuter...) LOL!

This is a pencil sketch I did of Lily tired and sucking her thumb while watching TV...
*Sweetie pie!*
And these are two more experimental portraits taken from engravings on money, again with no pencil, only a brush...

More to come in a few days!!

2 comments:

oreneta said...

The one of Lily is lovely...Do you bother with that draw in the egg shape, then the vertical line for the center of the face, followed by the horizontals for nose mouth and eyes?

Then step back and wait a bit, if you're me...

I find it useful. Do you have another technique.

I find it very hard to leave the paper blank for the highlights, one of my challenges coming from oil, where you can paint anything in, and normally completely cover the canvas...I am struggling with managing a big fat sheet of watercolour paper, how to manage the wet dry issue...they are quite large, a good third bigger than the biggest atlas you've seen, and the paper quality is not spectacular....and I'm too lazy to stretch. What size paper are you using? Are you still using cakes of paint or are you using some tubes now too?

Nomad Paints said...

HI there!
Sorry for the lag..

Drawing structure, I must confess I am not that disciplined, I tend to look at the shape overall, and yes I do use some guiding lines, but tend to try really hard to look at the work in question...
Though having said that I do use a rough form drawing first get that right and then zero in on details.

Watercolor, using both, I must say I still find the small blocks though more time consuming, easy to use and still doing the trick.
For the larger charcoal wash peices I have tried out my basic set of tubes and have mixed the colour I needed, jury is still out on that...

Re stretching I am using a prestretched block for some and for a larger peice like the last two I just did, a good old basic roll of maskng tape and a big flat board...works great. The work bubbles and then dries flat, I am using cheap paper though...

Definately the step back and wait trick. Another super trick, look at the work next to your subject in a mirror, or photograph them both and then compare the images.
works like a charm.

Can't wait to have this conversation in person one of these days!!

Love ya!